The MIT Traditional Health Plan is a comprehensive plan designed around the services provided by MIT Medical in Cambridge and Lexington.
See our COVID-19 FAQ for updated guidance on health and dental plan benefits including telehealth options, flexible spending account changes, and more.
The plan offers convenient access to a broad range of MIT Medical services and specialties delivered by staff of more than 100 physicians, psychologists, nurses, social workers, and other health care professionals at our on-campus location.
What You Should Know
- You and any family members covered under your plan choose a primary care provider at MIT Medical. That primary care provider—or PCP—will coordinate your medical care and provide referrals as needed.
- You should review the plan rates.
- You will be charged a $10 copayment for most visits to a healthcare provider.
- You must obtain a referral from your PCP for visits to most healthcare providers.
- You can avoid the $50 copayment for high-tech imaging such as a CT scan, MRI, or PET, at Shields MRI with a referral from your PCP. If you visit any other provider for these tests, you will be required to pay the $50 high-tech imaging copay.
- Review the MIT Traditional Plan Summary of Benefits (available below)
For a list of providers and services offered at MIT Medical, please visit their website.
Effective January 1, 2021, MIT will be moving the Traditional Health Plan pharmacy services to the Willis Towers Watson Rx Collaborative (RxC), with Express Scripts as the prescription drug provider. This aligns the Traditional Plan with MIT’s Choice, High Deductible, and Retiree health plans, which moved to the RxC in calendar year 2019.
MIT Traditional Health Plan members currently use the same Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) ID card for both medical services and pharmacy benefits. This card will remain valid through December 31, 2020, for use with your medical providers and for filling prescriptions.
In December, current members will receive two new cards: a BCBS ID card for medical plan services, and an Express Scripts ID card for pharmacy benefits. Traditional Health Plan members should begin using the new cards effective January 1, 2021. In addition, all prescription related inquires or requests should be directed to Express Scripts at 1-866-454-7118. This number will also be printed on the back of your new Express Scripts ID card. This is an administrative change that only impacts ID cards. The pharmacy benefit, including prescription drug copays, remains the same.
Need Help or Have Questions?
Visit our Health Plans overview for information on eligibility, enrollment, choosing a PCP, mental health and other services, and more. If you still have questions, see the plan contacts below.
For plan benefits or enrollment
For Traditional Health Plan billing inquiries or referrals
|617-253-5979||MIT Medical Member Services|
|Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA||1-800-882-1093||Blue Cross Blue Shield|
|Express Scripts||1-866-454-7118||Express Scripts|
Related Documents & Forms
Return this form to MIT Benefits in NE49-5000.
How to return forms: Unless instructed otherwise, you may return forms that do not contain sensitive information (such as Social Security Numbers) by email to email@example.com. Forms containing sensitive information must be mailed to MIT Benefits, NE49-5000, 77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139 or Lincoln Laboratory, Workforce Service Center, Room S2-112, 244 Wood Street, Lexington, MA 02420-9108. You can also fax forms to 617-253-2694.