The college admissions process can seem opaque and complex. If you are helping a child who is applying to college, it can be difficult to understand what is required, and what help to give and how to give it. In addition, families face the often-daunting task of paying for college and repaying student loans in the midst of this uncertain economic climate.
Bright Horizons College Coach® can provide you and your family with expert guidance from former senior admissions officers and college finance professionals from top colleges and universities around the country. This personalized assistance is available at no cost to current benefits-eligible MIT staff, faculty, and postdocs (associates and fellows). In addition, you have access to live and recorded webinars, videos, and articles through the online Learning Center.
College admissions: supporting your child's success
Bright Horizons College Coach® admissions expert have collectively read thousands of applications and made decisions at more than 40 leading colleges and universities throughout the country. They draw from facts, not guesswork, to answer your college admissions questions such as:
- How can I engage my child in the process, and when do I begin?
- How do I help my child put together a realistic college list?
- How do admissions officers assess a student's transcript?
- Which standardized tests should my child take, and when?
- How do extracurricular activities factor in?
Paying for college: knowing the options
Many people think that paying for college has two elements: save what you can, and pay the bill. But in fact, there are strategies that can help you save more and pay less. Bright Horizons College Coach® finance experts can help you learn:
- How to find scholarships
- How to maximize financial aid
- When and how to negotiate for more aid
- Why how you pay is important
- What to know before signing a loan and writing that first check
Student loan repayment strategies
When college ends, the challenge of student loan repayment begins. What many people don't realize is that there are ways to make student loan repayment more manageable. Take advantage of Bright Horizons College Coach® to get answers from experts on important questions such as:
- What federal repayment plan will best help me reach my repayment goals?
- What federal and private loan consolidation options are available to me, and should I use them?
- Are there strategies for reducing my monthly payments?
- How can I avoid delinquency or default on education debt during a personal economic hardship?
Log in to College Coach
- Use of the College Coach® program is restricted to current benefits-eligible MIT staff, faculty, and postdocs.
- You will need an MIT certificate or Kerberos username and password to access this program.
Get in touch with the MIT HR Center for WorkLife and WellBeing.