The nomination period for the 2021 MIT Excellence Awards + Collier Medal has closed.
What Makes a Successful Nomination?
- Answering the nomination questions and speaking to how the individual/team contributes to the MIT community.
- Showing that others support the nomination by adding statements of support to your nomination.
Before You Begin
Excellence Awards nominations are accepted through a platform called Submittable. Here's what you need to know:
- You'll need an MIT certificate or your Kerberos username and password to use Submittable. When you go to create your account, or to sign into your account again later, choose "Single Sign On" so you can use your certificate or Kerberos to access the site.
- Select an award category for your nominee in advance. In your nomination, explain how your nominee has met the criteria for the category.
- We highly recommend that you write the body of your nomination ahead of time and then copy and paste it into the fields provided in the form. Answering these questions will help you write the nomination. As you progress through the online form, you will be able to save your work and return to it later.
What Else You Should Know
- Nominations may be augmented by up to two statements of support from colleagues. Statements of support can be submitted at any time, even if you are still working on the nomination. Submittable will send a request to the colleague(s) you indicate to request their statements.
- You may choose to submit your nomination in video format.
Tips for video nominations
Most written nominations are approximately two pages in length. In video length, that is about eight minutes. Please be sure that your video nomination includes plenty of detail!
- You can record your video on your phone, Zoom, or another platform.
- Find a quiet place to record, and make sure the sound is turned up.
- Create a list of what you want to cover about the nominee/team.
- Provide background on why the individual/team is being nominated.
- If possible, describe the nominee/team's position and general job responsibilities.
- Be explicit in your description: “One of the award criteria for Outstanding Contributor is….I’m going to list three ways that this nominee/team has fulfilled that.”
- What impact did the contribution/achievement have on MIT, the DLC, or team?
- Don’t worry about how it looks. The Committee needs details, not production value.
- Video nominations may also include statements of support, but these must be in written format.
- You'll see an option to upload your video when you create the nomination in Submittable.