The MIT Staff Award for Distinction in Service is given annually to a staff member at MIT whose service to the Institute results in positive lasting impact on MIT's community.
The award honors individuals dedicated to upholding MIT's core values and to building community, partnerships, and connections. Award recipients embody the personal qualities of kindness, humility, selflessness, and strength of character, and are deeply committed to both the work and the people of MIT.
Nomination and Selection
Nominators are asked to provide examples of how the individual being nominated fulfills the criteria for award recipients. A selection committee will evaluate award nominations and select the recipient.
The nomination window for the 2023 award is open now through March 28, 2023.
About the Award
The award will be given to individuals only (not teams) who are MIT staff members in any classification (support, service, administrative, academic instructional, and research). Nominees must be active employees of MIT. This award is not intended to recognize research or teaching accomplishments at the Institute.
An award recipient:
- Possesses the personal qualities of kindness, empathy, approachability, humility, and selflessness; is a wise and trusted adviser to members of the MIT community.
- Quietly yet effectively, actively engages in building community at MIT; through large or small actions, makes improvements at MIT for staff, faculty, or students on a human and personal scale.
- Initiates and strengthens partnerships, collaborations, and connections within MIT or with MIT-affiliated organizations.
- Takes a holistic approach to decision making, being mindful of the effect of decisions on staff, faculty, or students.
- Seeks out diverse viewpoints and stakeholders, and reaches for creative and inclusive solutions while upholding MIT's core values.
The MIT Staff Award for Distinction in Service is a cash award; recipients receive $2,000. Cash awards are considered additional pay and will have payroll taxes removed before issuance.
Recipients also receive an engraved award.
The 2023 award will be presented at the MIT Excellence Awards + Collier Medal celebration in June 2023.
Congratulations to Paolo Parravano, Co-Director, Office of Government and Community Relations, Office of the Executive Vice President and Treasurer.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.