The next recipient of the MIT Excellence Award for Innovative Solutions is the COVID Testing/COVID Apps Team—30 people who came together from across the Institute to implement a COVID testing and contact-tracing program for the MIT community. They developed a suite of applications to enable widespread COVID testing, daily health checks, and access to campus buildings. They worked around the clock for weeks—literally—to deliver an integrated collection of elegant, high-quality solutions—and they did so at breakneck speed.
The team worked with colleagues at MIT Medical and Facilities to set up testing sites with wait times of under five minutes. More than 200,000 tests were performed just between August and November, with results generally reported within 24 hours.
Never before has the entire campus been access-controlled. Tightly integrated with MIT’s overall systems, the COVID applications enabled our physical security infrastructure to support the Institute's research ramp-up and phased reopening plans.
As one nominator stated, "I can think of no other single contribution during the pandemic that has so directly enabled MIT to continue its research and educational missions while keeping the community safe. This effort has been a spectacular success."
A very heartfelt thank you to the COVID Testing/COVID Apps Team.
- Bill Brids, Information Systems and Technology Manager, Atlas IT Desk
- Olujimi Brown, Director of Platform Engagement, Information Systems and Technology
- Ketline Edouard, Nurse Practice Manager for Medical Specilaties and Covid testing sites, MIT Medical
- Shawn Ferullo, Associate Medical Director & Chief of Student Health, MIT Medical
- Kyle Filipe, Director, IT Support Services, Information Systems and Technology
- Christopher Giles, Manager, Digital Communications, Information Systems and Technology
- Marco Gomes, Director, Infrastructure Operations, Information Systems and Technology
- Rikus Goosen, Applications Architect, Information Systems and Technology
- Juan Heyns, Information Systems and Technology
- Matt Isgur, Sr Manager, Campus Safety & Security Infrastructure, Information Systems & Technology
- Maureen Johnston, Director of Clinical Operations and Chief of Nursing, MIT Medical
- Terrence Jordan, Solutions Architect, Information Systems and Technology
- Eamon Kearns, Senior Director, Emerging Solutions, Information Services and Technology
- Dudley Kirkpatrick, Information Systems and Technology
- Elizabeth McManus, IT Project Manager, Office of the Executive Vice President and Treasurer
- Jagruti Patel, Senior Director, Special Projects, Office of the Chancellor
- Jonathan Pelletier, Supervisor, Medical Laboratory, MIT Medical
- April Julich Perez, Executive Director, MISTI School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
- Steven Petsinger, Solutions Architect, Information Systems and Technology
- Janis Puibello, Associate Chief Nursing, Quality & Nursing Admin, MIT Medical
- George Roch, Business Intelligence Analyst, Information Systems and Technology
- Maura Rowley, Nurse Practice Manager, MIT Medical
- Michael Patrick Rutter, Senior Advisor for Communications, Office of the Vice Chancellor
- Brian Schuetz, Executive Director, MIT Medical Administration, MIT Medical
- Jacqueline Sherry, Clinical Service Lead, Occ & Envr Med Campus Health, MIT Medical
- Jane Sylvester, Director, Ancillary Services, MIT Medical
- Werner Swiegers, Information Systems and Technology
- Kate Trimble, Senior Associate Dean & Director, OEL, OVC Department Heads
- David Tytell, Director of Communications, MIT Medical
- Doug Walsh, Manager, Project Management, Information Services and Technology