As a parent, you know the education your child gets today will shape their opportunities tomorrow. Yet the path to graduation is long, and there are so many choices to make. Now, you don’t have to do it alone.
Get ongoing guidance from an education expert
The EdNavigator program—available at no cost to current MIT benefits-eligible faculty, staff, and postdocs—connects you with an expert education advisor (a “Navigator") who can guide you along the way.
Navigators include award-winning teachers, principals, and experienced guidance counselors with deep knowledge of the greater Boston area school systems. These education experts specialize in supporting families with children in elementary, middle and high school, in public, private and charter schools – and children who have not been successful in the general education classroom. Whether your child is struggling or excelling in school, your Navigator will get to know you and your family, and provide ongoing, expert help.
All Navigators support families of students in special education and have experience in direct instruction in special education; complex social work cases; and holistic student advising in high school and college. If your child has an IEP, a Navigator can help you understand the intricacies of your child’s plan, and ensure that it is aligned with your goals for your child.
You can meet with your Navigator one-on-one by phone, video conference, or through the EdNavigator app who will work with you to:
- Develop or refine a personalized education plan and realistic goals for your child
- Establish or reset home routines to set up your family for success
- Support you in identifying how to best meet your child's social and emotional needs at this time
To help you get a better understanding of how your child is doing in school, your Navigator can:
- Analyze your child’s academic history
- Interpret your child’s report cards and test score reports
- Help you determine what questions to ask your child's teachers
- Work with you to set short- and long-term educational goals for your child
- Provide annual “Educational Health Reports” that help you see the "full picture" of your child’s progress
Find and access educational resources
Ensuring your child gets the best educational resources can be complicated and stressful. Your Navigator will be able to tap into a vast local network to help you:
- Find an in-person or online tutor to support your child's learning
- Choose educational books, apps, and games that your child will enjoy
With EdNavigator, you’ll get a personal education advisor who can recommend resources based on a deep understanding of what you and your family need.
Get started with the EdNavigator program
- Use of the EdNavigator program is restricted to current benefits-eligible MIT employees and postdocs.
- You will need an MIT certificate or Kerberos username and password.
- In addition, you will need to download the free EdNavigator app to access this program.