MIT managers are invited to join this program on asking for, receiving, and using feedback to improve effectiveness and augment growth.
Feedback is a gift whose value is best realized when we embrace it with an open mind, commit to action based on it, and follow through in the spirit of continual self-improvement.
Open to all MIT managers of people, the program consists of 6 sessions and independent, individual work over the course of 8 months.
After an introductory session on how to receive feedback, participants will ask for feedback from two direct reports and based on that feedback, set and pursue management learning goals. Check-ins over the course of the program provide opportunities for the participants to track their progress and support each other as a cohort.
Who may participate?
- Any MIT manager of people
More about the program
The program is intended to provide managers with the experience of asking for feedback from their direct reports and setting and working toward development goals based on that feedback. It is based in a recognition that:
- Managers serve a critical role in guiding work and creating a culture of respect and inclusion.
- There can be a gap between what we intend with our words and actions and the impact we are having on others. Feedback can help managers be mindful of that possible gap.
- Others see things about our performance that we don't see. Feedback gives managers the benefit of their direct reports' perspectives.
- We are all a work in progress. Feedback can help managers with their ongoing learning and development.
- The practice of asking for and receiving feedback with an open mind and a learning orientation can enhance communication and trust between a manager and direct report.
What to expect
Managers who participate in the program commit to the following expectations:
- Attend all 6 sessions
- Complete self-directed activities
- Ask for and be open to honest feedback from their direct reports
- Embrace feedback as a learning opportunity
- Commit to continual learning as a manager
- Support fellow participants as they seek to learn from feedback and grow as managers
- Provide feedback to the program facilitator on the program experience and opportunities for improvement
Workshop: Feedback as a Gift (2 hours)
Self-Directed: Gathering Feedback
Workshop: Feedback as a First Step (2 hours)
Self-Directed: Sharing Goals
Peer Coaching Session (1 hour)
Self-Directed: How Am I Doing?
Peer Coaching Session (1 hour)
Self-Directed: How Did I Do?
Workshop: Feedback as a Strategy (2 hours)
2021 session schedule
|Feedback as a Gift||Monday, May 3, 10 am–12 pm|
|Feedback as a First Step||Monday, June 21, 10 am–12 pm|
|Peer Coaching Session||Thursday, August 19, 11 am–12 pm|
|Peer Coaching Session||Wednesday, September 29, 11 am–12 pm|
|Peer Coaching Session||Wednesday, October 20, 11 am–12 pm|
|Feedback as a Strategy||Thursday, December 9, 10 am–12 pm|
Registration for the current program has closed. Check the Atlas Learning Center to see when the next session is posted.