How Do I...?

How do I Take time away from work to manage personal, medical, and family issues.

How do I take a medical or disability leave of absence?

Learn about the different types of leaves you may be eligible to take for illness, injury, disability, or a change in your family, including:

  • Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFMLA)
  • Paid Leave for New Parents 
  • Sick Leave 
  • Worker’s Compensation Leave 
  • Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) 
  • Massachusetts Maternity Leave Act (MMLA) 
  • Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 

Your eligibility depends on the nature of your employment, and your unique situation. Your manager can also provide additional information and consultation about your needs. 

How do I submit a Workers’ Compensation insurance claim?

Notify your supervisor as soon as possible if you sustain a work-related injury or illness. If your supervisor isn’t available, and you are physically able, report to the MIT Medical Department for your first visit to care for your injury or illness. If you are not physically able, call the MIT police at (617) 253-1212, or dial 100. 

Visit the Worker’s Compensation Insurance page to learn about your eligibility, coverage, and next steps. 

How do I request more flexible hours to accommodate my illness, injury, or disability?

See MIT's policy on job flexibility. If you need to adjust your hours or responsibilities to accommodate an illness, injury, disability, or change in your family status, see the Employee Leaves site to learn about leaves, or the Disability Services site to learn about requesting accommodations. The MIT Center for WorkLife and WellBeing is also available to help you explore your options.

How do I find out which holidays MIT observes?

Visit the MIT Holiday Calendar to find out which holidays the Institute observes, and on which days in particular the Institute will close in the current calendar year to observe those holidays.

How do I find out how much sick time I have, and how I can use it?

Visit MIT Sick Time to learn how to use and report your sick time as a benefits-eligible employee, either for your own needs, or in support of a family member. 

Sick time covers time away from work for illness or a medical or dental appointment, or for the illness or medical or dental appointment of a family member. 

How do I find out how MIT provides vacation time?

To learn how you accrue, request, use, and track your vacation time as an employee at MIT, visit MIT Vacation Policy