How Do I...?

How do my health and medical plans change upon retirement?

 As an MIT retiree, you, your spouse or partner at the time of your retirement, and eligible dependents may choose to participate in one of MIT’s health insurance plans.

Your coverage options depend upon your age (and where applicable, your spouse’s age) at retirement. Visit the following links to explore your full range of plan options:

Preparing to retire? See our checklist just for you.

How do I use MIT Medical with my benefits?

All MIT employees and family members are eligible to use MIT Medical’s walk-in Urgent Care Service, and fill prescriptions and buy discounted over-the-counter products at the MIT Pharmacy. See all programs and services available to campus employees.

How do I learn about the different health plans MIT offers?

Visit Health Plans to explore the different options available to you. Each page provides details on the plan, including eligibility and coverage. You can also go directly to a plan:

How do I find out when Open Enrollment begins?

Open Enrollment takes place in the fall of each year. The dates are posted to the MIT Benefits site in mid-summer, and plan details and rates are usually available in late September or early October.

How do I find out if I am eligible for COBRA?

You are eligible for COBRA coverage if you were enrolled in an MIT health, dental, or vision plan and have lost your eligibility because of a change in employment status or certain other life events. Visit COBRA to learn more.

How do I find out how MIT defines a Domestic Partnership?

A domestic partner is a same-sex or opposite-sex domestic partner who meets the following eligibility criteria:

  • A domestic partner must be at least 18 years of age.

  • Neither you nor your partner must be married to anyone and you must share a mutual, exclusive, enduring relationship.

  • You must have occupied a shared residence for at least four months and intend to do so indefinitely.

  • You must consider yourselves life partners, share joint responsibility for your common welfare, and be financially interdependent.

  • You must not be related by blood to the extent that marriage would be illegal in the state of Massachusetts.

  • Roommates, siblings, and parents do not qualify as domestic partners.

Visit Life Events / Marriage & Domestic Partnerships for more information on declaring a Domestic Partnership.

How do I document my dependents for the purposes of my MIT health & medical benefits?

 MIT requires that all staff document their dependents’ eligibility for Health & Medical benefits. Learn why MIT requires this, and how to document your dependents at MIT Life Events: Dependents

To learn how to evaluate and initiate changes in your Health & Medical Plans for a Birth or Adoption in your family, visit MIT Life Events: Birth & Adoption

How do I change my benefits in response to my dependent’s eligibility?

Generally, MIT's health, dental and vision plans cover your dependents through the end of the month in which they turn age 26.

If your dependent becomes ineligible for MIT coverage and will be without coverage, notify MIT Benefits in writing within 60 days to continue coverage under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). To learn more about COBRA coverage, visit COBRA.

Your dependent may also become ineligible for Medicaid or a State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). Visit MIT Life Events: Change in Medicaid or SCHIP Eligibility for more details.  

When your dependent is no longer eligible for MIT benefits, you may decide to change your health, dental, or vision coverage from a family plan to an individual plan, if the child was the only dependent on your plan(s).