As a new employee or student worker on campus, you must complete Section 2 of your Form I-9 within the first 3 days of your employment at MIT. If you are unable to have your documents verified in person because you are in quarantine, follow the steps below to have them verified remotely.
First you will need to securely transmit your documents to us, and then follow the additional instructions so we can remotely verify your documents through an encrypted Zoom video conferencing session. Once your quarantine period is over, you must make an appointment to present the original documentation in person at the Atlas Service Center.
Securely transmit documents to the I-9 representative
- You must physically possess the appropriate documents for I-9 verification. Acceptable documents are listed on the USCIS website.
Note: The following ‘LIST A’ documents require two photos or scans:
- U.S. Passport = Identity page AND barcode page at the back
- U.S. Passport Card = both sides of card
- Permanent Resident card = both sides of card
- Employment Authorization Card = both sides of card
- Take a high quality photo or scan of the document(s) and save as an image. This step should be performed prior to the remote verification session. Preferred format is JPG or PDF and each document must be less than 5 MB in size.
- Submit your verifying documents by doing the following:
- Launch your web browser and go to https://dropsecure.com.
- Click on the “Drop up to 10 files” box and browse your device for the images of documents you are submitting for verification. Select file(s) to be added. Each file should be less than 5MB and in pdf or jpg format.
- Enter your email address in the ‘sender email’ field
- Enter Ifirstname.lastname@example.org in the ‘recipients email’ field
- Click “Encrypt & Send” button at the bottom
Verify documents remotely via Zoom Session
- Finally, you must connect to one of our Zoom drop-in sessions to present your supporting documentation online. Contact us at Iemail@example.com to schedule a Zoom session.
By joining a session, you agree to having the Zoom session audio/video securely recorded and saved by HR staff until original documents can be presented in person.
Please contact Ifirstname.lastname@example.org.